1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Read any book to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to read 1,000 books (yes, you can repeat books) before your child starts kindergarten. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years.
How to Participate
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life‐long memories for the both of you.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading with our reading log.
- If you are able to, make sure to keep a record of “any” book that is being read to your child. This includes teachers and siblings.
- Bring your child’s reading log to any branch location each time they hit the 100 book milestone that is marked in green. Your child will get to pick a prize, receive a button and have their picture taken with our “1,000 Books Before Kindergarten” frame. Reach 1,000 books to receive a special award!
Click here to download a book log.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self‐paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!